- The Speaker of Egypt’s House of Representatives, Ali Abdel ‘Al, traveled to China to meet with various officials in the National People’s Congress. During his meetings, Abdel ‘Al emphasized bilateral relations and discussed regional developments in the Middle East.
Abdel ‘Al Leads Parliamentary Delegation to China:
Speaker of the House of Representatives Ali Abdel ‘Al led a parliamentary delegation to China to strengthen bilateral relations and discuss economic cooperation. During his visit, Abdel ‘Al met with various officials within the National People’s Congress, notably the Shanghai Committee and People’s Political Consultative Conference Chairman Wang Yang. In each of these meetings, Abdel ‘Al noted past economic cooperation between Egypt and China, regional issues in the Middle East, and counter-terrorism initiatives.
The Constitutional Affairs Committee approved an executive decree for a loan of €225 million to Egypt from the German Reconstruction Bank. News reports linked the loan to “economic reform,” but it is unclear what specific reforms the loan is meant to encourage.
Deputy Speaker of the House al-Sayyid al-Sharif said that the special committee to discuss Sisi’s objections to the Clinical Trials Law and subsequent revisions to the bill will convene at some point this week.
Representative Abdel Moneim Shehab of the Health Committee stated that the committee will organize dialogue sessions with medical experts and other relevant parties to discuss the government’s draft Supreme Council for Medicine Law.
The Local Administration Committee invited governors from across the country to attend an undisclosed future committee meeting to discuss natural resources in individual governorates.
In News and Statements:
The Foreign Affairs Committee issued a statement calling on authorities in London to prevent the sale of a statue depicting Tutankhamun, which Egyptians claim was stolen. The statement also commended international groups and countries that prevent the sale of such items in cases of theft.
Representative Abdel Rahim Ali of the Arab Affairs Committee condemned the terrorist attack on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, adding that transportation in that region has been dangerous in recent weeks in light of “Iranian aggression.”
Representative Maisa Atawa of the Workforce Committee praised Sisi’s opening remarks at the African Anti-Corruption Forum, noting that his speech presented an opportunity for African countries to stand “side-by-side” to combat corruption.
Representatives from the Tourism, Youth and Sports, and African Affairs Committees met with players ahead of the upcoming African Cup of Nations.
- Representative Khaled Abdel Moulay of the Transportation Committee stated that the body will conduct a visit to the Suez Canal in the near future to assess recent developments in the area.
- The Small and Medium Enterprises Committee will conduct a field visit to Alexandria beginning July 1 to assess various factories in the region.
- The Local Administration Committee will conduct a field visit to Beheira and Alexandria June 26–29 to investigate local problems impacting each governorate.
- The House of Representatives will reconvene in plenary session on June 22.