On May 16, the Armed Forces’ General Command issued an update on the Sinai Peninsula, claiming that 47 individuals were killed in counter-terror operations and another 158 arrested over a span of about two months.
On May 7, Egypt’s Court of Cassation rejected an appeal of a 2017 ruling that sentenced 13 individuals convicted of belonging to Ajnad Masr to death
On April 28, Wilayat Sinai claimed an IED attack targeting a mine-resistant, ambush-protected vehicle (MRAP) near Rafah.
Wilayat Sinai claimed responsibility for an improvised explosive device (IED) attack targeting pro-government tribal elements in Rafah and an IED attack in Arish targeting soldiers.
Security forces placed Arish on lockdown after intelligence reports indicated that militants had infiltrated the city center and Wilayat Sinai claimed responsibility for an April 12 suicide operation which reportedly killed two militants and wounded three police forces.
On April 9, Wilayat Sinai claimed responsibility for a suicide attack targeting an Egyptian police foot patrol in Sheikh Zuweid’s Tuesday market.
A three-and-half-minute video, released by Egypt’s Interior Ministry, showed footage of the new, elite counter-terrorism Black Cobra force, to operate under the Central Security Forces (CSF) branch of the ministry.
Wilayat Sinai released a 14 minute video and claimed responsibility for five attacks in North Sinai province, the most attacks claimed in a week since January.
A March 11 statement issued by the Egyptian Armed Forces said that 46 suspected terrorists had been killed and another 100 were arrested in north and central Sinai. The statement also reported that the military destroyed 15 suspected terrorist hideouts. The statement said that three Egyptian soldiers had been killed in combat over the unspecified reporting period. The last update from the military came in January and was the first to omit the use of Operation Sinai 2018 to refer to Egypt’s counter-terrorism efforts. This statement was presented in a similar format and also did not name a corresponding operation for the activities it described.
On March 7, Egyptian interior ministry forces killed seven alleged Hassm members after intercepting a van transporting explosives and nine tunnels connecting North Sinai with Gaza were destroyed by counterterrorism forces and military engineers.