The Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy is currently seeking a full-time Legal Associate to join its team.
The Legal Associate will play a key role in supporting TIMEP’s Legal Unit in its mission to turn the law into a powerful tool for change in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region by protecting the rule of law and lawyers-at-risk.
Working closely with lawyers and legal organizations based in the MENA region and around the world, the Legal Associate will conduct legal research and analysis on the region’s most pressing legal and judicial issues; shape and participate in legal interventions grounded in international and regional law; and help design legal education and training materials.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitoring and documenting the MENA region’s top developments in the legal, accountability, and rule of law spaces.
- Conducting fact-finding and evidence collection in support of Legal Unit initiatives and outputs.
- Producing policy-facing legal research outputs on TIMEP priority areas grounded in international, regional, and comparative law.
- Drafting submissions for strategic legal interventions at the national, regional, and international levels (including for Global Magnitsky sanction case files; African human rights system engagement; and UN special procedure and treaty body submissions).
- Contributing to the formulation of practical legal guides and training materials for lawyers grounded in international, regional, and comparative law.
- Building and nurturing relationships, and collaborating with lawyers and legal organizations working in and on the MENA region on areas of mutual interest.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS REQUIRED
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) or foreign equivalent in law.
- At least two years of post-law school professional experience (preferably in international law, comparative law, human rights, or MENA spaces).
- Knowledge of international and regional human rights law and norms.
- Knowledge of the United Nations and/or regional human rights mechanisms (preferred).
- Knowledge of legal, judicial, and/or political context of at least one of the following MENA countries: Egypt, Tunisia, Lebanon, Syria, and Sudan.
- Arabic language fluency in reading, writing, and speaking.
- Track record of building and maintaining relationships with partner organizations and/or individuals.
- Excellent research and analytical capabilities.
- Strong verbal communication, writing, and organization skills.
- Experience working in a team environment and balancing priorities and deadlines.
The ideal candidate will be based in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area or available to work in TIMEP’s Washington, D.C. office upon its safe reopening. The ideal candidate must be authorized to work in the United States and available to work within or close to TIMEP’s office hours (9:00 am EST to 5:30 pm EST).
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
To apply, please submit the following to email@example.com with “Legal Associate” in the subject line:
- Current resume/CV
- Cover letter indicating:
- Where you learned of this position
- Your ideal start date
- Salary requirements
- Writing sample
Applications are due by January 24, 2022.