The Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy (TIMEP) is looking for a mission-driven and team-oriented Operations Manager to join our team in January 2023. The ideal candidate will be excited about spearheading the internal operations of a nonprofit organization committed to amplifying the voices of, investing in and strengthening the work of, and protecting the advocates at the frontlines of movements for change in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region.
The Operations Manager plays an integral role in our organization and is responsible for ensuring that TIMEP’s mission and vision is operationalized in the institute’s day-to-day programming and activities.
This is a full-time role located in Washington, D.C., where our team follows a hybrid work model that allows for both remote work and in-person work at our co-working space.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Sets and oversees implementation of TIMEP’s annual operational priorities and strategy
- Develops, implements, and reviews institutional policies and procedures to ensure the smooth-functioning of the organization
- Coordinates day-to-day financial operations in collaboration with external accountants by processing accounts payable, staff payroll, and reimbursements; supporting the preparation of budgets and financial reports; and ensuring adherence to accounting policies and procedures
- Oversees grant reporting by collaborating with relevant staff to develop narrative reporting and leading the process for financial reporting
- Leads TIMEP’s internship program, which hosts 3-5 interns each semester
- Manages institute’s recruitment and hiring process for new staff, interns, and fellows
- Oversees onboarding and offboarding process for all team members
- Manages TIMEP’s benefits program including health insurance, paid leave, and retirement plan; and makes recommendations to ensure benefits are competitive and meet staff needs
- Plans annual staff retreat and oversees the institute’s annual strategic planning process
- Plans team social and professional development activities and shepherds initiatives to foster an inclusive and engaging work environment
- Acts as the primary point of contact with TIMEP’s vendors and contractors, including IT professionals, human resources consultants, legal consultants, and benefits broker
- Solicits quotes and secures new vendors when needed
- Handles day-to-day administration such as maintaining digital files, monitoring institutional inboxes and phone line, collecting mail, maintaining office equipment, and liaising with co-working facility
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 3-5 years of relevant experience and/or training in operations or administration, preferably in a nonprofit environment
- Commitment to TIMEP’s mission to invest in, support, and amplify the voices and work of advocates from and in the Middle East and North Africa region
- Strong understanding of Google applications
- Prior experience/involvement in an organization’s hiring process
- Experience with Quickbooks or similar accounting tool is preferred
- Ability to understand budgets and work within an approved budget; knowledge of basic accounting procedures and ability to develop and implement cost saving measures
- Prior experience with grant reporting is strongly preferred
- Familiarity with employee benefits is preferred
- Ability to identify gaps and inefficiencies and make concrete suggestions to improve systems and procedures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including ability to professionally engage with external stakeholders
- Highly organized with attention to detail
- Effective management of competing individual and team-wide tasks and deadlines
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; develop alternative solutions; work well in group problem solving situations; and use reason even when dealing with emotional topics
The candidate must be authorized to work in the United States and available to work within TIMEP’s office hours (9:00 am to 5:30 pm ET Monday – Friday). The position is anticipated to begin in early January 2023.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The employee will be eligible for all of TIMEP’s benefits which include paid time off; medical, dental, and vision insurance; and a retirement plan. TIMEP’s office is located in the heart of the nation’s capital at a new co-working space with exciting perks, including gym access.
To apply, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Operations Manager” in the subject line:
- Current resume/CV
- Cover letter indicating:
- Where you learned of this position
- Salary requirements
Please submit applications by December 5, 2022.