The Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy (TIMEP) is pleased to announce the call for applicants to its 2019-2020 Assistantship Program. The program is open to recent graduates and young professionals seeking to gain hands-on work experience related to Middle East policy, advocacy, and research. This program provides opportunities to work on TIMEP’s ongoing initiatives, while giving participants the opportunity to develop their expertise in a specific area of interest. Participants benefit from one-on-one mentorship and a comprehensive professional development curriculum designed to position them for success in their chosen career.
Positions are for the duration of one year and are non-renewable. There will be a heavy emphasis on identifying a potential career path for each participant and identifying ideal roles for continued achievement after the conclusion of the program. Staff mentors will work with each participant to help them reach this next step.
The Assistantship will take place at TIMEP’s Washington DC office, with a start date in June 2019. TIMEP is unable to assist with obtaining visas.
Position Description & Qualifications
The Research Assistant position will support and assist TIMEP’s research as it pertains to the regional political, social, economic, and security landscape and, particularly, implications for United States and international policy, with a particular focus on Egypt, Syria, Libya, and/or Iraq. The Research Assistant will contribute to the development of the institute’s research projects, written analysis, and other forms of knowledge production, with the opportunity to develop their own area of expertise, as well as provide support to ongoing research and advocacy initiatives.
TIMEP adheres to a collaborative approach in which all of its departments work closely together to carry out the mission of the institute. As such, the Research Assistant will be expected to regularly cooperate with the advocacy, development, legal, and editorial departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Covers and researches regional news thoroughly for stories relevant to TIMEP.
- Delivers Daily Research Brief to the research team and senior staff.
- Synthesizes information and inputs data for research projects.
- Assists in development of research reports.
- Conducts background research and prepares research documents for senior staff on assigned topics, including but not limited to literature review or event reporting.
- Monitors and regularly reports on assigned research portfolio.
- Produces or assists in producing several short research publications relevant to TIMEP’s work, such as briefings, statements, updates, or profiles.
- Assists with development of talking points and fact sheets for senior staff
- Assists with internal event development and execution as needed.
- Assists with development initiatives by providing relevant information on research (e.g. grant or project proposals and reporting).
- Assists with advocacy initiatives as needed (e.g. meeting or briefing preparation).
- Cooperate with other departmental directors/managers as needed to implement tasks in their respective departments.
- Completes necessary administrative tasks (e.g. activity reports, meeting memoranda, timesheets).
- Bachelor’s degree and 1 to 2 years of related experience and/or training. Master’s degree desirable.
- Proficient knowledge of subject matter in applicable portfolios.
- Knowledge of political climate in the Middle East.
- Knowledge of crafting policy analysis, long-form reporting, and short-form brief development.
- Ability to produce a high quality of written product.
- Ability to conduct research with sufficient direction from senior staff.
- Experience working in a team environment and balancing priorities and deadlines.
- Skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Publisher) and experience with Google applications, Adobe and Internet is required. Experience with managing databases is preferred.
- Ability to adapt to changes in TIMEP and in external environment, manage competing demands, and change approach or method to best fit situations.
- Ability to manage and adapt to frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Arabic language skills are preferred.
- Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Assistants will be paid an annual salary and will qualify for benefits such as transportation, healthcare, and dental/vision.
The assistantship program includes a year long professional development curriculum that includes the following components:
- Staff mentorship
- Departmental workshops and trainings
- Career focus workshops/meetings
- Workshops/meetings with subject matter experts
- Resume development
- Job and/or graduate school application assistance
- Networking opportunities
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line, “2019 Research Assistant,” In the cover letter, please include where you learned of the position, salary expectations, and your preferred start date.
The deadline to apply is March 15, 2019.
Only competitive candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the selection process. No phone calls please.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the individual is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The individual is occasionally required to stand or walk; use hands to handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The individual must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required include close vision. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.